Hazardous Area Certification

Most jurisdictions require electrical equipment used in explosive atmospheres to have certification confirming that it complies with the relevant equipment standards. A discussion on Australian requirements can be found here.

Depending on your region different sets of standards may apply, however, no matter where you are the core principles of all certification schemes are similar: all standards include requirements relating to equipment construction and performance.

What is a hazardous area?

Hazardous areas are known by a variety of different names including “hazardous locations” and “explosive atmospheres” and refer to areas where flammable liquids, vapours, gases or combustible dusts in the form of a cloud may be expected to be present in quantities such as to require special precautions for the construction, installation and use of equipment.

Most Common Types of Hazardous Area Certifications

  • IECEx: International Electrotechnical Commission System for Certification
  • ANZEx: Australian Program for the Certification of Equipment for Explosive Atmospheres
  • ATEX: ATEX is the name commonly given to the two European Directives for controlling explosive atmospheres
  • OSHA – NRTL Program: Electrical equipment approved for use in hazardous locations by a nationally recognised testing laboratory in North America.
Get in touch today Contact us